Elevate your communication skills.
Whether you're a student or professional, a published or beginning writer, this online course will help you navigate the linguistic twists and turns of English grammar.
Grammar can be fun when you know the rules!
- How it's presented: Fully online, you'll be reading your lessons—the best way to learn grammar for writing.
- Course commitment: Go at your own pace, 4–12 weeks.
- When: Start any day you want.
- Instructor: Your one-on-one grammar guide is always available for questions through email and the course discussion board—you'll get a reply within one weekday.
- Certificate: Yes, with course completion and a passing score on the final quiz.
Here are some of the people who have taken this course:
- administrators, administrative assistants
- supervisors, managers
- sales force personnel, marketers
- nurses, social workers
- small business owners, solopreneurs
- grad school students, standardized test takers
- journalists, proofreaders, copy editors
- court reporters, technical writers
- ESL teachers, public and private school educators
- active military personnel, veterans
- job seekers, career changers
- home schoolers, home-schooled students
- course developers, online course instructors
- retirees, lovers of lifelong learning
Is Grammar Lion right for you?
A journey exploring parts of speech, punctuation, usage, and more . . . a responsive instructor you can communicate with anytime . . . discussion forum . . . self-assessment quizzes . . . dynamic practice games . . . resources for lifelong learning . . . your one-on-one grammar guide ready to answer questions and support your learning . . . flexible schedule.
Join the 43,000 students who have studied online with Instructor Ellen.
Ellen has been an online grammar instructor for over 15 years, with more than 43,000 students enrolled in her courses. She holds a master's degree in writing from the Johns Hopkins University and has taught college courses online and in the traditional classroom, including creative writing, developmental writing, and English composition. Ellen has worked as a newspaper reporter and copy chief, personal essayist, website reviewer, and writing coach.
"The Grammar Refresher class exceeded my expectations. The lessons were well written and explored the material in more depth than had I expected. As a result, I'm able to identify sentence structures like: run-ons and sentence fragments. The best part of the course was the discussion section. The teacher responded immediately to discussion questions with thoughtful, detailed answers. She was incredible! It was extremely helpful to be able to ask her to clarify troubling areas, or explain style differences."
"I haven't taken that many on-line classes (five), but this has been, by far, the most valuable course to me, both educationally and personally. Your lessons and the added guidance have helped me to feel more confident about the grammar I use when I talk and write. Everyone in education should take this course each time they renew their certificate. I hope you are being greatly rewarded for your dedication to your job. This student very much appreciates it! Thank you!"
"One more thing I wanted to say before this forum closes: Thank you for your timely responses and down-to-earth, friendly tone in this discussion area. I suspect that you have several very large classes going on at once, and I really appreciate how you kept up with this forum. I always looked forward to reading your responses to my questions, not only because they were thoughtful and helpful, but also because they showed that you truly care about your students and their understanding of grammar. All the best to you, Ellen. I hope our paths cross again!"